I'm a bit late on this post but I participated in Kids Clothes Week at the end of April. I totally forgot about it until the day it started, and then I thought, ok, well I can probably do this. As a result, I didn't make anything fancy, but I used all fabrics and patterns I had on hand, which is kinda cool.
I recently bought a serger which has made sewing with knits a lot more fun. I'm still learning and practicing, but the more professional-looking finish I get on the inside makes sewing up t-shirts a lot more satisfying than it used to be. (Spoiler alert: I made a lot of t-shirts during this round.)
I started with a pair of Oliver + S Sunny Day Shorts (free patterns for the win!) made out of this adorable clementine printed corduroy. To my great delight, Joey loves them. And how cuuuuuuute are they?
I posted them on facebook and someone said they wanted an adult-sized pair. which is obviously a great idea. So I'm venturing into new ground and am going to attempt to make myself a pair of matching clementine shorts next. (Using the Grainline Studio Maritime Shorts pattern.) There will not be a lot of opportunities in my life to match my son so I plan to take full advantage of this one.
(sidenote: nighttime pictures in my sewing room are challenging.)
After I finished the shorts I pulled out a couple pieces of knit fabric I'd purchased with no real plan and gave Made by Rae's Flashback Tee pattern a try. I've had the pattern for a while but only used it once, to poor results. Luckily things went a little better this time and I ended up with some really cute little shirts! I think I'll make some leggings out of the deer fabric and turn that into a summer pajama set, but I don't have a leggings pattern on hand. Any recommendations for a good one?
And finally, I decided to change things up a little bit and do some freezer paper stenciling. Joey loves The Jungle Book right now and has named every stuffed tiger/lion/leopard/cat in our house Shere Khan, so I thought a super cool tiger face would be perfect. I used my Silhouette to cut the pattern out and then just basic fabric paint to carefully stencil onto the shirt. Unfortunately, one of the eyeball cutouts moved while I was painting, so I had to fill in both eyes, and I had a similar problem on one of the ears. But it still looks pretty rad. (I made the shirts too. I thought about buying blank shirts but I had the grey fabric and now I'm basically an expert at t-shirts, so why not.) After the complex tiger face I was in the mood for something simple, so fun monogram it is. And hey, when it's Teddy's turn to wear these shirts I can just fill in the bottom of the J to make it a T. Perfect! ;)
So I was pretty boring pattern-wise for this week, but I got a lot more comfortable with my serger and have a whole handful of new clothes that Joey will actually wear all the time. And it all came from my existing stash of fabrics, which is always a nice feeling. I'm calling it a total success!